Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hoping Doesn't Make it Possible


The book I'm reading at the moment assumes some questionable scenarios, like the fact that a third world country has jumped ahead of the everyone in a particular type of technology, and nobody else knew about it. Now they are teaming up with a rogue general of the US in a military coup to take over the US government. Yeah, not likely.

It turns out that this technology isn't really key to the story, so I don't know why the author went through the trouble of concocting the thread in the first place. The other parts of the story are actually pretty good.

The thread seems to more than anything else, detract from the real story. Unless he was trying to make a political statement of some sort, I don't see the point.

The end result is a story that doesn't hold together. Hoping that a thing could be true, doesn't necessarily make it true and in this case doesn't help the story.

Have you read any books where the author made a leap that was just a little too far? Or maybe way too far?

7 comments:

  1. Everyone has a different truth! Some more far fetched than others!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the books I read two years or so ago like that was called "Evermore". Read the whole thing in less than a day and was beyond disappointed. The author seemed to try and put elements of the supernatural in it but it wasn't well executed or described at all.
    That the only book that left an impression on me. If I have read a book where the author took a leap that was too far, I probably didn't finish it because of that very leap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about when the leap is not far enough? I had read a series where it was supposed to be the future, but I never bought it. Everything was so stereotypical. Travel is quicker, money is not used, the characters wear outlandish clothes and everything operates on autopilot. It was like they mashed elements of Blade Runner, Star Wars and Space Balls together thinking they were clever. Hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the insight you have...nice job

    http://georgia-power.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting topic. I personally quite enjoy some science-fiction, so I embrace a good flight of fancy (Snow Crash is an excellent example)! I guess it all depends on the type of narrative, but there have been a few times when a story has got so preposterous, it became unenjoyable. I don't think people should be restricting their imaginations though!

    G. Burrell, student at Short Courses Ireland (www.shortcourses.ie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I think when people are stuck with where to go with a story, they just seem to jump into a some over used device, like aliens made them do it or 'Dallas's' Oops it was all a dream. I remember reading a book a few years ago and I loved it (at the start) I think it was called 'Enchanted' and it had a really spooky feel about it, very atmosphereic and chilling until, yes they went over the top. There is nothing so powerful as the imagination and sometimes when you set up an almost ethereal, boogieman, he SHOULDN'T BE SEEN - the imagination can conjure far worse ghouls then you can adequitly describe.
    Interesting blog - Thank you.
    I'm actually a part of a group of creative writers online at a competition and community site for poetry and prose. Http://www.strictlyshakespeare.com you should check out some of the origianl writing there, some of the ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't come across a book that has taken things a little too far, however I seem to have that problem in my own writing. I am an aspirational writer and I find it hard, sometimes, to find the balance between "stretching the truth" and "going way too far" I often wonder where the line is between a good fictional story, and a story that is just completely past the line.

    http://booknoname.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.