Monday, March 7, 2011

Am I a Dinosaur?


I still write on paper, not longhand, but I print. I know to some of you that sounds like a laborious process, but it actually works well for me.

I cannot do longhand, my longhand looks like a cockroach ran through a pool of spilled ink, then dragged his belly across the page. It's pretty much unreadable.

But for some reason, when I print, it's readable, and I can do it very fast. Much faster than I can type. When I try to type, it's almost as if I have invisible constraints on my brain. It's as though I'm worried about draining the laptop battery rather than getting the words typed in. I'm just not as creative. The words don't flow.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I am a programmer. When I write software, I have to be very precise about every character. Even one character out of place can make the program fail to compile, or worse yet, fail to work.

I wonder if that is the issue that holds me back from typing my manuscript directly into the computer.

I am getting better. I used to write this blog the same way, on paper first, then type it in. But that's changing. I typed this one in directly.

There are definitely disadvantages to writing on paper. It's a lot harder to do a search for something. It's a lot harder to completely erase something that isn't working and start fresh. Then again, maybe that's a good thing. Sometimes that can bring back old ideas in a fresh way.

But from what I can tell, the only really good thing about writing on paper is that it works for me. I hope I can make the transition. I'm afraid if I don't, I might just become extinct.

How about you? What works for you?

1 comment:

  1. I love me some word processor, yes I do! I am a heavy user of the annotation feature in Word. It helps me keep organized.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.