Monday, December 27, 2010

Taking The Plunge


I've been threatening to do this for a while now, but I finally pulled the trigger, stepped off the cliff, lit the fuse, yanked out the pin, and a hundred other cliches for it. I hired a professional editor for my latest WIP.

She came highly recommended from a couple of my favorite authors. She does work for them all of the time, so I felt confident she would be able to help me.

I sent her the first 50 pages, physically wincing when I hit the send button on my email. You see for me, it was kind of like waiting for the doctor to stick me in the rear with a needle. Yes he needs to do it, but that doesn't mean it's still not going to hurt.

I know that my manuscript is going to come back with more holes in it than Bonnie and Clyde and I'll probably spend the next couple of months trying to come up with fixes for divots that would put the Grand Canyon to shame, but it needs to be done.

So it was with this attitude that I patiently waited for a response on my first 50 pages.

And I was shocked.

She actually liked it, well at least to the point that she was willing to take me on as a customer. In fact the changes that she suggested weren't that bad at all. They were mainly to tighten my manuscript up a little, OK a lot, but it wasn't like I had to rewrite the whole darn thing.

So she's supposed to get me the completed change list early this week so that I can make the changes. I'm excited but I am worried about one thing.

I hope that the modified manuscript will still fit in my inbox.

Happy writing everyone. Hopefully next week I'll be able to write about the result of the carnage.

1 comment:

  1. I hope it turns out okay. It's good she liked it.

    Have a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.