Monday, August 23, 2010

Lost Idea


I'll bet you're thinking this is a post about writing an episode of Lost. Well, that would be cool, but no, what I'm talking about is something that happened the other day.

I was talking to my wife and an idea for a scene hit me. It was a brilliantly poignant scene, funny, yet emotionally charged, sure to garner sympathy for the character, and render a clear description of their true behavior.

I was hurrying to get ready, so that I could go to the job that puts ink in my pens, and I didn't have time to write it down. Can you guess what happened? Yep, I lost it. I can't remember the scene, what it was about, how it would have benefited the character, ..... I got nothing.

You would think that if it was such a good scene that I would be able to remember at least some of the details. You would think. But for some reason, it's just gone. (Getting old much?)

I probably would have been able to remember it, if the scene had been attached to one of my new characters, but that was part of the problem, it wasn't. I don't have all the characters for the new WIP yet, so I had no one to attach it to. But it was such a great moment. Darn....

I've been wracking my brain for the last couple of days, and I'm still not able to recall anything. There's nothing up there but cobwebs. I may even have to employ desperate measures. Yep, as bad as it sounds, I may have to break down and ask the wife.

How about you? Have you ever thought of a great scene, or idea, and lost it because you forgot to write it down? Were you able to get it back later?

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when that happens! Everyone is always saying we should have a notebook nearby at all times. We know we should. And still we don't and end up losing our scenes. The ebst scenes are always the ones that come when you're about to fall asleep. You think "I should write that d..." and you're gone. I wonder how many great books never got written because of that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... Even thinking about this puts an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am all too familiar with this problem. hah I've started sleeping with a recorder right by my bed so I can document anything in the middle of the night, and I have some form of paper and writing utensil on my person everywhere I go. I got sick of forgetting these really great plot twists and character growth thoughts. heh

    Glad to hear it's not just me!

    I agree with Gabriela. I wonder how many brilliant books have been "forgotten?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, this brings up a bad memory. I had the exact same thing happen, but I had no one to ask what I was babbling about.

    I've started using my fancy phone for notes on the fly. It even has Mobile OneNote, which, basically, is the best thing EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this happens to me ALL the time, but I'm glad because if all those ideas really stuck I'd be in serious trouble with too many things to write. When something REALLY sticks and I can't get it out of my head - that's when I know I have to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brilliant scene made it's way into my dreams Saturday night. Unfortunately, I too lost it.
    It's been driving me bonkers ever since.
    Maybe there a Program for people like us?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, if there isn't a program, maybe there are meds we can take. :)

    Yes, Anthony, I try to use my phone to record ideas, but of course, I don't want to do that while driving to work.

    Gabriela, I would like to think it would have been a great book, but it feels kind of like a fish story, you know, the one that got away was thiiiiiiiiis big.

    Stef, I have a recorder, but I always forget that I have it, or where it is, or if the batteries are low, well, you get the idea.

    Michelle, yes, it's a good thing that I have lots of ideas too, although it does make it difficult to decide sometimes.

    I don't lose things that often, but when the timing doesn't work, it does happen.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.