Monday, August 30, 2010

Found a New Author


I read a lot of thrillers and most of them are from authors that I know. Every once in a while, I come upon a new author with a book good enough that I want to read more.

It happened last week. I found a book called "Lion's Game" by Nelson DeMille. It's a story about an ex-cop chasing a terrorist. If terrorist themes are not something you enjoy reading about, this book is probably not for you.

What I liked about this book is the protagonist. His name is John Corey, and he's a total smartass. I know there are some people that would think him juvenile, anti-authority, and a total pain, but what I like about him, is that he cuts through the all the procedural bull and gets the job done. Nelson really highlights how difficult a joint operation between different types of law enforcement can be. The story is the combination of a joint law enforcement operation, and an ex-cop that cuts through all the bureaucracy. It's the perfect scenario for this type of character.

I think that's half the battle sometimes, coming up with the right character, but also putting them in a situation that lets them show their true makeup.

Do you put your characters in situations that allow them to go beyond the words written on the page? If not, you're holding your characters and your story, back.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this author. Thank you for sharing! I TRY to put my characters in situations that allow them to go beyond the words, but I sometimes don't know if I'm succeeding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do you put your characters in situations that allow them to go beyond the words written on the page? If not, you're holding your characters and your story, back."

    That's a great question, and speaks right to the character of the, er, character. Like Michelle I try, but I sometimes wonder if I am trying hard enough.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.