Monday, June 21, 2010

Writerly Distractions


The World Cup has seriously cut into my writing lately. I have been a fan for a number of years, but this is the first year that I have watched this many games. I have a son that loves to play soccer, and it's great spending time watching the games with him. He gives me an insight into the games that I cannot get by just watching. When there is a questionable call, or something that I don't understand, he provides a unique insight about why the call was a good or bad one. He provides background information about the players that give me a unique insight into why they act the way they do.

So what does this have to do with writing. Well, that's the problem, I'm not getting much writing done. There aren't enough hours in the day to watch the games, and still have a chance to write.

Luckily the tournament only lasts until mid July, and the games get less frequent as time goes on, so hopefully in a week or so, I'll be back on schedule. Who knows, maybe I'll use a soccer star as a character in a future novel.

What distracts you from your writing?

2 comments:

  1. Kids.
    Wife batting her eyelashes at me.
    Totally killer RPGs on the Xbox 360.
    Books.

    All distractions of love.

    Followed by: Facebook/Twitter. Those, I don't love you as distractions so much.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.