Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sleep


My body requires seven hours of sleep for me to function creatively.


When I get less than seven hours, I can do things like go to work and be a productive member of society, but that’s about it.

I think of all the things I gave up, hobby and entertainment wise, to write--but did I really? If I really think about it, I gave up those things to sleep and write.


Work clients pay me to produce a pile of work, not show up at a certain time and place. This is a wonderful job. If I do three days of work in two, nobody cares if I drag my butt into work late on day three. Nobody cares if I skip lunch and work through that so on Friday I can spend some alone time with my work-in-progress at the coffee shop.


I’m constantly in awe of the writer mommies out there; those who write in-between baby naps and such, or plow into a work-in-progress after everyone has gone to bed. They are continuing the sleepless cycle of taking care of baby, almost like prolonging the torture. I could not do it. In fact, I would not do it because I physically can’t. I chose to sleep, and vow to get more writing time later. Otherwise, my writing turns to crap.


One thing is for certain, supporting yourself with your writing is sure a big lure. Think of all the writing you could do if you didn’t have to go to work (or raise kids, or milk the cows, etc.)!


How about you? Can you sacrifice sleep for writing?

4 comments:

  1. Gahhh I just deleted my comment (i think - if i've doubled up then sorry!)
    I need 7-8 on weeknights and 10-12 on weekends. I'd LOVE to only need 4 hours, i could get so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can work without 8 hours but my problem is way too many hobbies. I need 36 hour days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, sleep or writing?

    To write or not to write?

    To sleep or not to sleep?

    That is your question.

    Well, enough of the Shakespearean allusion, I guess I could sacrifice some sleep depending on my mood. If I'm really into a story, I can't just give up on it because I am tired. I need to push forward, because I think that every time I write a word it'll be my last. So, write on, cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the writing is going well I've been known to forget to eat and sleep. If the writing is not so--then I awaken long enough to eat before I go back to sleep.
    A a rule, 4-5 hours is all I need.

    Maribeth
    Giggles and Guns

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.