Monday, May 31, 2010

Beta Readers


How do you pick your beta readers? Do you have any besides friends and family?

My brother is 18 months younger than I am, and loves to read. He doesn't always have time to read as much as he likes, but he will always take the time to read one of my books. I have heard advice saying that friends and family are not the best reviewers, because they tend to be biased. However in my brothers case, he takes that into account and always seems to come up with what I consider, useful feedback.

He read my latest novel, and really liked it, except for the ending. He felt that one of my characters, whom I killed off, needed to come back. I actually agree with him. I had the similar idea when I was writing the book, but then I went to see a superagent Donald Maass seminar. He said that most novels don't push the edge, don't tug at the heart strings hard enough, so I thought that maybe if this character remained dead, it would cause a much greater emotional reaction. However, it made the story much too tragic, instead of emotionally satisfying.

I have since changed the ending so that this character makes a surprise return, and I do like it a lot.

I have a couple more readers slogging through that version of the book, and we'll see what they come up with. I'm feeling pretty good about it now, but I'd like to hear from the new readers.

These two are people that I see at the gym 5 times a week. They are both heavy readers of popular fiction, so I respect their opinion about what's good and what's not. That's not to say that I will listen to everything they say without filtering it through what I like, but I would consider them more objective than friends and family.

That's all that I use right now. I'd like to get a couple more good beta readers, but it's tough to get readers that like your genre, and style of writing.

How do you pick your beta readers? How many do you have?

4 comments:

  1. I've joined a writing community on line and I find that they're great beta readers.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found a few beta readers through friends of a friend. Because I write YA I often use the children of friends and their friends; the further removed the better. That way I have more confidence in the things they say that work and don't work. I always worry that those close to me will tell me what they think I want to hear. I'm also very careful when I use fellow writers. Sometimes they try to rewrite the piece according to their style or voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, there is the Wife Unit. I love to entertain her, and she loves to read. She makes a great beta reader, and even proofreads.

    Yeah, my wife is a slice of blonde awesome.

    Anyway, I found the rest of my beta readers (Beta Reading Squad Doki Doki Team Alpha SEVEN) simply by having a blog and posting. Because I went out to other blogs and commented, I built a small audience, which consisted mainly of women.

    That is when I learned social media bows to the feminine whim of the woman.

    But I digress. When I was done with a novel I wanted beta readers to have a look at, I simply posted on my blog "who wants to read it?" and thus my Beta Reading Squad was born.

    My beta readers are awesome. They provide great feedback. It's like winning the lotto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed when I read this cause my partner is always trying to kill someone off in my book. I really need a couple more beta readers - and an english teacher would be great. A really fussy one.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.