Monday, February 15, 2010

I Got Lucky


OK, all of you with the dirty minds, can stop right there. That's not what I meant.

This year I thought about going to the San Francisco Writer's Conference, but I decided against it. I am not quite done with my latest WIP, though I am so close I can almost taste it. I don't like to query or meet with agents until I am completely done. I need a couple of weeks for the book to seep into my consciousness before I can write the query, or feel comfortable talking about it to an agent.

So, I wasn't going to go. But the one reason that I wanted to go was because famed super agent Donald Maass, was going to be putting on one of his "Writing the Breakout Novel" classes. I have always wanted to go to one of them, and I almost went to the conference just for that class. But I didn't.

Now it was time for fate to step in, in the form of a huge snowstorm that pretty much shutdown the East Coast. It was such an apocalyptic storm that no one could go anywhere, and thus, Donald Maass wasn't able to get out here for his class. I was pretty happy that I hadn't paid the $600 for the conference, if I wasn't going to be able to get into his class.

The organizers got together in a football huddle (my guess anyway) and decided to move Donald's class to Monday, the day after the conference is over. I suspect that will mean that a lot of folks have already left for home, and the class will be much smaller. Just the way I like it.

So, yes, I'm going. I'm excited. Actually make that SUPER EXCITED!!

As you are reading this blog, I will be learning how to write the next breakout novel. I'll let you know what I learned, next week.

Anybody else going to be there? Anybody have any questions you want asked?

FYI, I heard that the snowstorm pretty much shut down Washington D.C., but nobody noticed. :-))

5 comments:

  1. That's funny.

    I would love to here your take on the whole 'breakout novel' process. I always wonder if the how to's are real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read his "Writing the Breakout Novel" book, and found that not only did I enjoy it, but I've also found that I was already doing a lot of the things he talked about unconsciously.

    Doesn't mean I don't think being able to attend one of his classes wouldn't be awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it and learn lots that you can pass on to the rest of us!!;0) It sounds a great opportunity for you and I hope your current WIP will turn out to be a best seller.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie,

    It turned out to be a great class. I have at least 4 key things that I want to do to the book now, and all of them are going to make it better.

    And yes, my next few posts are going to be about what I learned. It's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great!!

    I'm sure you will find the experience rewarding. Please, let us know what you learn from the conference.

    Have a wonderfully safe trip.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.