Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Writer Stretch: Send Your Photo!

We write.

It's what we do. If we didn't, we wouldn't be here. Right?

But how do you envision stretching yourself as a writer over the next twelve months?

Where do you want to be a year from now?

How many words?

How many chapters? books? characters? queries? agents? book deals?

Without goal setting, without action plans, without envisioning success, we're little more than dreamers. I don't want to wake up on January 1st, 2011, and realize that I'm the same person I was the year before. I want to be different, stretched, challenged, changed. I want to be the person who rose to the challenge.

Alex Moore Challenge: Join me! Pick a new writing goal or achievement for the next year. It doesn't have to be fancy or stressful or inventive or creative. And don't select something just because it sounds classy or bookish or hip. It just has to be something that means something to you.
  1. Put new GOAL in writing. Use sticky note or parchment paper, whatever - just get it down.

  2. Find a picture that represents that goal. Rip it out of a magazine, doodle it, snap it with your iPhone.

  3. Tape them together & post in prominent place: mirror, bedside, locker, computer.

  4. Snap a picture of the duo -- and email to me. Let me post the pretty pics over the next 365 days on this blog. Well...er...at least on the Tuesdays of those 365 days... :)

  5. Include your goal in the comment section, too -- leave evidence of your hope in the blogosphere. We here at Adventures in Writing want to ridicule support you as you reach for the stars.
And remember, borrowing from Henry Ford, Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you're usually right. You are the only one directing your destiny: go out there and forge your own trail.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing special for me Alex, just to complete my current WIP. I'm 25,000 or so words into it.
    I'd like to try a couple more short stories too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to finish my current WIP, which is complete on paper, but I'm typing in right now, and then I'm going to revise my last one. Then I'm going to query them both.

    This summer I am going to Thrillerfest once again to pitch both books to real live agents. It was so worth it last year, and I hope this year is even better.

    I'll try to put up some pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't keep to my goals last year, Alex, but intend to do so this time. I have two books to edit and send to the printer before the end of the year, and hope to write another children's book, I write historical fiction so needs quite a bit of research, and have three in the shops by the end of 2010.
    Good luck with your resolutions..Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea! I may very well come back and do this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep insisting my "intentions" for 2010 are not resolutions because I don't want to be locked into promises to myself that I could possibly break. And yet... Hmmm, there's motivation percolating. I may be back. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in!

    http://daydreamerswelcome.blogspot.com/2010/01/taking-up-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Charlie: happy new year right back at you! I like your goal(s) -- and I, too, have contemplated the evil short story. Not certain I have what it takes tho :) Good luck w/ yours! Send me the pic...

    @Doug: oooh - i like that: a writerly goal AND a professionalism goal. smart. so do i get a pic of you at ThrillerFest? or one w/ your WIP?

    @Carole: i love the sound of great big ginormous goals looming over your shoulder -- kinda like a friendly giant :) Best of luck & do send me a picture!!

    @CKHB: and I hope that you do...

    @A.Grey: where are you?!

    @careann: and that, dear one, has been my problem for far too long :) the only resolution that i made public last year was that I wanted a six-pack. Yeah -- that was like *totally* accomplished. Right... Hmm... Anyway, do come back, do post, do commit to public humiliation :D

    @JoniB: you rock! woot :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.