Monday, January 4, 2010

Book Contest Coming


I am going to help a NYT best selling author market his latest book. Isn't amazing how the book industry is changing? It used to be that an author would crank out the manuscript, go on a book tour, show up on a few talk shows, or other appearances, then fall off the radar to go work on the next one.

That was then, this is now.

The internet has changed all that. In the past readers would actually go to a brick and mortar bookstore to shop for books, now books are a few clicks away on a website. How do today's authors stand out from the firehose of promotion coming at them from every corner of internet? It's tough.

How many of you still go to a bookstore to buy hardcover books? I'm sure there are a few of you, but I think the numbers are dwindling. Witness the bookstores failing all over the country.

Other than the ones that happen to fall into my cart at Costco when my wife isn't looking, nearly all my book purchases are now of the audio kind, or the Kindle kind. This doesn't bode well for bookstores, and as an author myself, it's worrisome, but to me its a matter of convenience.

How do authors stand out? In order for authors to get noticed, they have to become much more web savvy in their marketing. Thus, the book contest I am doing with Michael Palmer for his upcoming book. It's a way to maximize his online presence for selling his book, but it will also be great for me personally, and this blog to be associated with his efforts. I see it as a win-win deal, which everyone knows, is the best kind.

I will post the contest rules Monday of next week, but I would also welcome your ideas. The winner of the contest will get a personalized copy of Michael Palmer's upcoming release "The Last Surgeon". I would like it to go to someone who is a big fan, because I think they would appreciate it the most. Send me your ideas, and I hope one of you wins.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have any ideas for you, but I do agree the face of marketing books has changes. Book signings are not enough. People was to feel connected to the author some way and that's why Facebook, Twitter and blogs are invaluable tools for authors these days. Good luck with your marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any ideas either, but don't write off hard cover, yet. I think we'll still want them around. It's not like music. That can be anywhere, books need to be seen. I need to see them.
    But best of luck. I know it's the way of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have an idea--because I love the idea of contests. Since Michael's book is called "The Last Surgeon" you could have contestants write the first sentence of the story they would write called The Last Surgeon. Mine would probably be a sci fi story about the last human surgeon programming a robot or something.

    Anything a writer can do to stand out. It's very exciting to be a writer right now but ... it's the Wild West out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to what happens and how you go about this...:0)
    Carole

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.