Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Basic Interweb Thingie Branding Tricks

While I am not an advertising expert, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, I do work with some very talented people in the online business. On occasion, they teach me a few things.
One thing to be aware of is your personal brand. If you have a blog, you have one.
But did you know you may be sharing it with someone else?
How could that be, you ask?
Take a look at my website URL: http://anthony-pacheco.com.
Notice it isn’t anthony-pacheco.wordpress.com, or anthony-pacheco.blogspot.com. That’s because I don’t want to share my limited brand with WordPress or Blogger. My address is owned by me, exclusively. I could move anthony-pacheco.com off of WordPress, because I own that URL.
If you are not familiar with the particulars, for WordPress (because, I just love WordPress), to make this happen, here’s what I did:
1) Paid a fee to a domain registry company for the URL. This fee is variable; the cost per year decreases the more years you purchase.
2) Paid a small fee to WordPress for the domain name feature (I believe this is free with Blogger, but I don’t like Blogger).
3) Did some brief hookup of my domain name to my WordPress blog
If you have WordPress or a Blogger blog, these are easy things to do. If you don’t know how, a simple trip to their help files will reveal the steps necessary. You can also ask a resident internet geek. It’s not rocket science at all.
It doesn’t sound like much, but in the end, unless you are employed by WordPress or Google, there isn’t a reason to share your current and future popularity with someone else.

5 comments:

  1. I'm clueless about such things, but I AM in a Holiday Inn right now. Really. Ha ha!

    Very interesting post. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my list to move blog.dawnsrise.com to blog.writerunner.com but I never seem to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. My blog is hosted by blogger.com, and used to be tonynoland.blogger.com. I bought the URL and switched it.

    It's so much classier to have my blog at http://www.TonyNoland.com. I always capitalize the names, too, even though it doesn't matter for URL navigation purposes.

    Now I just need a book too sell...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so there with you Tony. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.