Friday, December 11, 2009

International Agent Appreciation Day

Hey guys!

Today is International Agent Appreciation Day! Brain child of my online buddy Kody, IAAD is designed to offset some of the real negativity that agents get on a day-to-day basis. Agents in general have a very difficult job, and all this negativity just can't be...beneficial. I mean, think about it. They don't get paid unless their writers do! They have to be the bad guy in most all situations, as their writers want (well, most of them do!) their full, unvarnished opinion on most every aspect of their writing process.

So, what makes MY AGENT Marlene Stringer so fantabulously perfect?

**insert fangirl squee here**

So, so many things. She tells me the full truth, she gets back to me in split seconds, she is always funny, warm and her normal awesome self. She doesn't treat other writers that have her as an agent differently than me (and believe me, writers with the same agent do talk!), she answers her queries punctually, she treats writers trying to break in with warmth and sincerity, she tweets pubtips that, if you're following her and have no agent, will help you get one. Guaranteed.

If she's behind, she'll tell you. She has a real life, and she still manages to do everything for everybody. I don't know how she does it.

But a few special things. She does NOT give up. We've been subbing my first novel for a while. And she is still every bit as supportive of my book, my talent, and my career as she was when she first took me on. She doesn't drop her writers. And she sells. Good golly gee, does she sell! In her first year of being on her own, she's done an amazing amount of sells! Debuts, second books, series...the woman is a selling machine.

She sent me powdered donuts and a pregnancy book that actually helped me with my fear of labour. I mean...MAN. *LOVE FEST*

(But as they say, you don't have to take just MY word for it. Check out the other surprises for my lovely agent!


I know you're asking yourself: all very well and good, Jen, but honestly, what does this have to do with me? If you're currently querying and you need to know a little more about an agent, it's quite likely you might find their name in this massive LOVE POSTING HERE.

Ha! See? Just helped you with querying! Quality agents FTW!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having such a great agent. I have heard many wonderful things about Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this! And for posting the link to all the other appreciation posts! I've read five of them so far, and they're really helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.