Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm So Excited


I am working on the final climactic scene in my latest thriller. Guess what that means? You guessed it. I'm soon going to have a first draft.

I am very excited about this one because I feel like I've finally found my voice. In case there are those of you who don't understand what that means, it's the unique flavor, or style of writing, that comes from you, when you are in your comfort zone. I'm sure there are better descriptions, but that's what works for me.

Some authors have a such a unique voice, that even if their name wasn't printed anywhere on the pages, you would still recognize their work. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head include, Shakespeare, John Le-Carre, and Tom Clancy. (Tom Clancy in the same sentence with Shakespeare?? I'm sure William is turning in his grave... )

So the final showdown scene takes place in San Francisco in the middle of one of the most famous bridges. Anybody want to hazard a guess? It's color is International Orange. It's about 1.6 miles long. It's considered a landmark. Anybody?

OK, you guessed it, the Golden Gate Bridge.

What's interesting about this bridge, is that the middle is actually a fairly safe place to meet someone, if you don't want to worry about snipers taking you out, or bodyguards jumping you. I'm not talking about the roadway, but the walkways on either side.

My protagonist sets up a situation where he rides a bicycle from the San Francisco side towards Marin, and the antagonist rides from the Marin side toward the city. They meet in the middle, and that's where the fireworks happen.

What happens? Ah well, you'll have to wait for the book.

How are you doing with your writerly voice? Have you found it yet?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very intriguing!!! Argh, voice ... that elusive, all-important aspect of writing. I think I'm getting better at it, but I'm not sure I'm totally "there" yet. PS - Try "Smart Bacon" - it's good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great kitty pic! I say... what Cammie said! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.