Sunday, October 18, 2009

HOPE

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.Isaiah 40:31

Cindy Wilson, who has followed this blog since the start, has this Bible quote up on her author page and her blog. I like it. It's one of my favorites.

Lately, I haven't exactly felt like my writing dreams are soaring with God. Don't get me wrong, life is good and I have no complaints, but I just stopped over at Cindy's blog and her web page and somehow seeing the quote made me stop and question where I have been putting my hope.

Where have you been putting your hope? Agents? Your talent? Your mission? Dumb luck?

Right now I am tired, and I have more work to do and family things to do than there is time in the day. Truthfully, I'm lucky to have so many opportunities.

Honestly, I'm tired of thinking about being successful or not as a writer. I have a six year old daughter who wants to get her books out into book stores and I can't help but think that it would be a shame if she let the decision makers affect how she feels about stories and art. I'm going to encourage her to continue making books and help her with getting them produced so that she can share them with her friends.

The moment that her art and stories become about getting published would be a sad day, because right now it's all about her unique vision and style. Plus, the audience that she has right now is composed of the people that she cares the most about. Her stories are already connected to an audience, even if it is a small one.

It might seem like I'm downplaying the getting published dream, but really I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

I guess that I don't really have any great ideas today. All that I can offer is a personal feeling, and that feeling is that somehow I've got my dreams out of whack a bit. Somehow thinking about where I am putting my hope helps me to feel connected to my true purpose as a storyteller, which of course is to tell stories. There's a difference between telling stories and getting them published. All published fiction authors are storytellers, but not all storytellers are published. That does not diminish the dream and it should not diminish the energy of the storyteller.

Best of luck in your writing pursuits and as a kind agent once wrote me I now write to you:

LOOK FORWARD : )

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to what you're saying. Although, I'm in a time of my life where I need to look behind myself in order to look forward, as you said.
    I'm not much of a religious person, but I do have some spirituality. I still believe that you can hope or believe without actually believing in God! All you need to do is believe in yourself and what you can do with that hope. Sometimes you have to think independently. You can't rely on religion all the time. You still have to learn to help yourself.

    Good luck to your little girl! I think it's great that she's already fixed her interests! I was the same way when I decided I would work in the arts and follow my mum's footsteps! It's incredible that people take forever to take that decision!

    fromagebri.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. It was a wonderful reminder to me to remember where I am and should put my hope.

    There are days, particularly lately, that I judge my writing not by its effect on others or the message I'm relaying but by whether or not I think it will help me get an agent or get published. Truly, this takes some of the passion out of writing. It takes away some of its magic. I'm working to renew my hope for my writing in something beyond my own limitations. I'm willing to believe that my writing will serve a purpose in its own special way and however it ends up I will trust that the outcome is right and good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, I loved the refreshing honesty in this post. I also enjoy Cindy's blog. I think you hit upon something essential for writers to think about as they dream on.
    Thank you.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. The passage reminded me that even though I am a little discouraged right now you helped me to remember that it has been better and it will be better. My faith is very important to me and I forget to rest in it.

    I will do the work and hone my skills. I will find fresh ideas and inspiration to weave into every line (well, maybe not every line, but you get the picture). I am and always have been a storyteller, the only difference now is that I write them down.

    Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.