Thursday, October 29, 2009

Drifting...

Recently I've been drifting back and forth between ideas for novels. In other words, I'm deciding how I want to spend the next six months of my writing time. It's been difficult, simply because I'm incredibly hard on my ideas and I keep asking: 'Is this idea worth the time?' I've written 6 full-length novels already, and the requested full of the last one I completed has been sitting in an agent's computer folder for three months, as I wait to hear what she thinks. The longer I wait, the less confident I get, simply because, whenever I hear about a writer landing an agent, it's usually, 'She called me one week later', or 'Three weeks later, we had a deal'. I'd love to know a story of someone who sent a full manuscript, waited ten months, then the agent said 'YES!' and the book was published soon after. Anyone know any? =)

So, anyway, I'm drifting...hoping I'll be able to dig into one of my novel ideas and make it sing. I'm done with outlines...in my case (and I'm sure other, more professionally productive writers, use outlines and write awesomely, so grain of salt) they have poisoned my last two ideas. An outline almost seems like flying over some ancient place in a helicopter, if that makes sense. There's no thrashing through the jungle, or sweat dripping off your face.

Below is a quote that I feel very fortunate to have found. It definitely lifted my spirits

Hope everyone has a good Halloween.

"Really, in the end, the only thing that can make you a writer is the person that you are, the intensity of your feeling, the honesty of your vision, the unsentimental acknowledgment of the endless interest of the life around and within you. Virtually nobody can help you deliberately -- many people will help you unintentionally."
- Santha Rama Rau

2 comments:

  1. Patrick, you have to do what works for you. I don't outline either, and even if I did, halfway through, the book would have wandered off in a completely different direction.

    I usually know the end, I have an inkling about the beginning, but even that changes as I try to bring the end of the story as far forward as I can, to make it interesting.

    The best way to improve your writing, and that's what we all strive to do, is write a lot, and read a lot. Especially read in the genre/area you feel the most passionate writing about. You will see what works/doesn't work for other writers, and incorporate that into your writing.

    Even if you follow the same basic plot, it's still not plagiarizing if you change the cast of characters.

    Hang in there. In writing practice may not make perfect, but it sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool quote.

    Which book is it that an agent is considering, and who is the agent. My email is dave5125@comcast.net, if you would rather email.

    Yeah, I've heard of time-delay success stories. I can't think of a particular author name off the top of my head. Well, here's one. Anne Osterlund, who writes YA. She had an agent take awhile to consider her, and then she was signed on for two books.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.