Sunday, November 1, 2009

7 Reasons to Continue Blogging



I've been running on low fuel lately. I felt like I needed to start chucking the cargo out of the plane in order to make it to the next refueling station, but what I found was that comments left last week helped to refuel me midair. Thanks to everyone who left a comment!
I've decided to continue on, at least until the new year.
Here are some reasons that I have to continue with blogging. Perhaps they will help inspire you when you get to feeling like you are running low on fuel and need to lighten your load.
Seven Reasons To Continue Blogging
1. Talented and Inspiring People in the Network
I've benefited by reading the blogs, poetry, and stories of others.
I've also benefited by seeing how people use images and talk about taking them.
Everyone who leaves a comment and posts about the struggle to continue on with writing, and makes little victories, is an inspiration.
2. Opportunity to Write for a Live Audience
There's nothing so depressing as having nobody read your stuff. I love the feedback from others and the ability to improve my writing style based on how people respond.
I don't post creative nonfiction or stories often, but I've been encouraged as a writer because of those times.
By the way, I've loved reading other people's short stories and creative pieces. Anthony's bit on stalking the pro golfer stands out as one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
3. Depth of Communication and Interconnectivity is Possible
The mere fact that I can refer to Anthony's funny story (or anyone else's really good post) shows that depth of communication and interconnectivity is possible. We, as bloggers, have the opportunity to surpass magazine writers because of this interactivity. We can go deeper into issues if we bounce off of each other and carry on a conversation or friendly debate.
My favorite part of blogging is when posts and/or comments take an issue or experience deeper and deeper.
4. Opportunity to read posts that are humorous, hopeful, exciting, agonizing, joyful, or informative
Jen's latest post on writing a mystery made me feel excited, because I could feel her excitement. Patrick's latest post triggered a feeling that is a mixture of hope and agony. It is great to have a manuscript in the hands of an agent, and agonizing to wait and wonder what will happen as each day passes in silence. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
5. Agent/Industry Advice
I've read some good agent and industry advice on this blog and others. I've even had an agent (who has stopped by and posted a couple of times on our blog) send me an email that gave me the name of an industry person who has an interest in the kind of stuff I write. That was exceptionally cool of her, and shows how good natured people can be when you network in and communicate professionally.
6. Opportunity to Inform, Entertain, and Inspire Others
I may or may not succeed at getting published. That's not 100% within my control, as other people get to make the decisions, but I can say that some people have moved me by telling me how something that I wrote made them feel or interested them. Connecting with others through my writing, which includes informative blogs and creative nonfiction posts, is rewarding.
I suppose that if I felt that connection more I would feel more highly inspired to blog. I sometimes wonder what it means when I see just two or three comments on a blog post, whether it is a writer from this blog or elsewhere. It could relate to the quality or form of the post or it could relate to how connected one is with other bloggers. What do you think?
7. Blogging is an Evolving Form that Appeals to Fast Paced Readers
I want to continue learning the form. Sometimes I stick to the guidelines I've read, and other times I don't. It is interesting to see what works and what does not.
Failure to connect with readers teaches lessons, as does connecting.
Lady Glamis and Alex have both posted exceptionally good advice on how to blog. This advice, and the experience of blogging, has helped me to develop a new style of writing which extends from the blogosphere to the memoir I am writing on a decade of running and not.
Bottom Line
In the end, getting refueled midair is what matters most. The irony is that the way blogging works it's not all about how good of a writer you are. It's also about how good you are at refueling others. That's an area that I can certainly improve on. I need to be the fuel plane, as well as the jet.
Questions of the Day:
Notice what I did not put on the list: building a platform. Do you think it should be on there?
What do you think? Which of these reasons resonates the most with you?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Dave. You gave this considerable thought and presented it so well. These are all superb reasons to blog.
    I have gotten so much from the experience, and it's because of people like you. I think all of your reasons ring true and I can't pick just one. I have made friends, been inspired, learned important industry information, been wildly entertained and been gratified when someone likes what I wrote.
    I think the platform thing is there for when it's needed but it shouldn't be the reason anyone blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia. Your comment about platform is interesting. I tend to agree, but must admit that I have heard many agent push the idea that a blog is needed for developing a platform. Maybe that's true? Maass seems to provide a conterpoint to that idea as he writes that the appeal of the story is what makes books sell well, not the marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're hanging in there a while yet. I can relate to this also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.

    Today is turning out to be a harder day than I had anicipated as the sick bug has found it's way to my family again.

    I will look forward to your post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all WONDERFUL excuses to keep blogging! I'm so happy you're sticking around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I was wondering if you have noticed very many people stopping their blog or pausing if for a month or so. I know that on my dashboard I've run across a significant percentage of people who have paused or quit. No post for a month or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed a few people doing that, yes. I don't blame them. We all have lives that include more important things than blogging. But, I do try and maintain all my blogs. I have three. It's a bit of a challenge sometimes. Family blog, personal writing blog (Innocent Flower), and the Lit Lab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that Tara is back. That's cool. She writes good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pretty much sums it up!

    fromagebri.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me it's all about connecting with other writers and gaining insider knowledge on agents and publishing. I also like your #2 reason: opportunity to write for a live audience. You're right....there is nothing more depressing then not being read, and nothing more exhilarating than to have someone respond to a post and then express enough confidence in your writing ability to become a follower. That is very rewarding. I’m with Tricia about platform. It’s there, but it isn’t why I started, although building one obviously becomes more important as one moves closer to being published.

    I love blogging. It enables me to get valuable feedback from talented people I would not otherwise have a way to connect with. People like you, and I like your suggestion that blogging isn’t just about being refueled but about your ability to refuel others. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good decision :)

    For me it's all about learning and connecting. My little office seems friendlier w/ blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.