Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Hero

John Michael graduated from Harvard Medical School with an M.D. in 1969, by which time he'd published four novels, one garnering the the Edgar Award. He published three more novels that same year (1969) -- and it was the second one that established him as a best-selling author. You may have heard of The Andromeda Strain.

Okay. Let me repeat that: while attending medical school, Michael not only wrote numerous books, but he got them published.

I'm in awe.

When I start thinking that I haven't any time to write, I realize that it's just a matter of priorities. After all, I, too, have twenty-four hours in a day...just like Michael.

What about you? Who are your writing heroes and why? What have they done to appear herculean in your eyes? How do you gain strength from their courageous battles?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I totally amazed by people who can write book like that with limited time. It make me wonder what is wrong with me, but like you said, it is all about priorities. I don't know that I actually have an author that is my hero, but I am certainly inspired by different works of certain authors new and old alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my very favorite authors, and yes, I have no idea how he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have writing heroes, but I do have people that have inspired me. Oddly, it has little to do with genre compatability. The people that have inspired me the most are those who have written craft of writing books that I made use of while writing. Three are: Elizabeth George, Stephen King, and Donald Maass.

    I sometimes think that if and when I ever get the book published I would like to thank them, although the chances of them knowing/remembering me are small.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.