Sunday, September 13, 2009

Have you survived too much to do and too little time?

Wow! It's nice to read so many great posts.

Thanks to everybody who voted and posted comments on Anthony's latest post. That was really cool. It's nice to see how many people are out there and to read a bit about what they are working on.

Also, Alex's post really cuts to the heart of what is on my mind right now--TIME.

Yeah, there are those people out there that make the excuse of not enough time seem like no excuse at all. Thanks for the reminder, Alex : )

So, seconds ago--speaking of time and how we manage it--my six year old daughter brought me a butterfly that she designed on paper with shapes and colors that inspire me. It's cut out and she even stapled on antennas. It awes me to see how creative she can be, and it does something that I don't quite know how to put into words, because I am her dad, or papa. It makes me feel how important my presence is. Sure, she creates to create, but she also creates to share. And it's the same with my three and a half year old son, and possibly somewhat the same for my 140 students. The bottom line is that part of the way I spend my time involves being there to read, see, and comment on the work of others. I teach, and I inspire, and I am glad for that role in life.

Somehow, as of late, I have been putting in extra hours in a new job, and doing what I can to make sure my family gets the quality time they deserve. Right now (the last few weeks especially) my writing time has diminished. Oh, I forgot to mention little things like getting ill with the stomach bug that seems to come with fall and the new school year. I'm better now, thank goodness. Now I just need to make sure allergies don't get me down.

So, here's the bottom-line. I've got writing goals, but I've also got many other important priorities, which seem to be on urgent mode right now. HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED THIS??? How did you work through it???

I'm not panicked. I know that I will be back to those writing goals when the time is right, but I don't want to wait a month, or a season, to continue making progress.

5 comments:

  1. If pursuing dreams was easy, we'd have nothing to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahhh, the butterfly with stapled antennas makes me feel so hopeful. That's what it's all about, right?
    Take the progress in small bites, little sips. It's like the ebb-and-flow of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When life takes over, I let the writing sit to the side for a week -- really focus on getting the rest of my world in a tiny bit of order -- then come back to the keyboard. No guilt allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often feel like my time is stretched thin. Balancing priorities has become a bigger challenge now that writing has moved up several notches.

    It's good you're not panicked. Because writing is important to you, you'll make time. And just know that on the way, you're making experiences with your family and your work and everyday life that will translate into fuel for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to reprioritize things all the time. It's difficult, and I still haven't figured out how to get writing done when everything else is crashing down. Hard stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.