Friday, August 21, 2009

Characters

Piggybacking off Patrick's excellent post from yesterday, I wanted to share the one thing I think about when I write a story. Or the one thing I think about *now* when I write a first person story, in particular.

"Why does your character want to tell this story?"

The first time I read that, I was halfway through a third-person close MS (finished and waiting for revisions). It quite simply blew my mind. I know why I write stories, and generally have an idea of the theme behind my stories when I do write them (latest after revisions) but this...was such an awesome idea.

I can't remember where I read it but I loved that sentence. And now I use it for every story, before I start, just to get an idea.

Have you ever heard of that? Ever read it?

And Happy Friday!

7 comments:

  1. This has to be one of my favorite things about writing--asking this very question. Excellent!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question & post. Definitely gives me something to ponder. : )

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thought for the day! (and every WIP thereafter) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting point of view. Do you think it works for every genre?

    I can see some characters in a mystery wanting to tell their story, and of course literary characters would want to share.

    Might work for some in Romance....

    Definitely some in Thrillers....

    I guess to me it's not all characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an interesting idea, because it puts you in the character's mindset.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.