Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summer Beckons


There are always distractions in the writer's life. We battle piles of laundry and stacks of dishes. We duel with classes and jobs and sometimes both. We balance family time with must-read-books and snatches of sleep. And there are always the holidays, reassuring us that nothing beats copious amounts of time spent baking or eating or wrapping or unwrapping.

Somehow we manage. We make time for writing. Some of us steal snatches of time throughout the week. Some of us are binge writers; some of us are daily methodical writers. Some, like the Ken Kisers of the World, block out 12 am - 3 am each night as sacred for the muse. And we know that we bloody well better make time because we're the only ones who care enough to carry the germ of an idea through gestation to birth.

But then there's summer. Grass to be mowed. Sun to wallow in. BBQs to indulge in. And then the water sports, from beach bumming to fishing to dangling pretty painted toes off the dock...

How do you write during the summer? Everyone has a different method, of course, and I'm interested in yours. What do you do in order to ensure that your summer has a slice of the writing life? Or do I have it all wrong? Is summer really any different from December or any other month of the year? Does it come down to will-power, tenacity, and determination once again?

9 comments:

  1. Last summer I woke early 5:30'sh to get my writing in before the family woke up. I'm planning to do the same this year because I have lots on my to-do list to get ready for ACFW's fall conference and I want to be ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really try to ...

    *eyes children playing and laughing in sprinkler*

    ...be consistent when I...

    *takes call from girlfriend inviting all to join them at the new park*

    ...write in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Determination. Dedication. Drive.

    Summer or not, my life is full of incredible demands and diversions! (I guess I'm on alliteration mode today!) If I want to get any writing done, I just have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually summer is a great time for me to do writing. It's too hot here in Vegas to do much outside (except in the evening) and because I work at a university there isn't too much to do except get ready for school to start in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm learning to sneak in an hour of writing while my kids watch a movie. It's hard because normally I can't have any interruptions, but I'm finding I can't be choosey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to write in summer over here, because you're inside in the airconditioning, trying not to melt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer means different things in the Pacific Northwest than other places.

    Anybody with a once of life gets outside. Everything suffers. That's Washington-Oregon-Idaho for you.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, I only write 40 minutes to an hour a day, and it's always at night, around 11 or midnight. Something about the consistency and knowing I have only one hour to get something down really helps. I try to get in 500 words a day. I thought I worked like a snail, but found sympathy from reading about Graham Greene, who wrote about the same every morning, and didn't re-read it until the next day. Made me feel a little better

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find myself uncomfortable if I'm away from writing too long. That's not to say I don't enjoy getting together with friends or a long walk with my toes digging into sand and waves lapping alongside. But I keep little notebooks in my pocket. Often ideas come when I'm most relaxed. So, I guess summer is not so different than any time of year, except it gets sooooooo hot here that it can affect anything one does.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.