Saturday, June 27, 2009

Morning


For me, morning is the ideal writing time. That is, on those days when I don't have anywhere else to be. In the morning, my house is quiet, cool and calm, and lit with that perfect "slant of light."

In the morning I am at my most productive. Mornings are wonderful, and summer mornings are the best.

By the afternoon, heat settles in my non air-conditioned house, and the coffee pot is empty, and the noise beings, and family members make demands, and phones ring and sing and beep, and then the writing becomes slow and frustrating.

Any others have a perfect time of day for writing?


4 comments:

  1. That gorgeous painting almost makes me want to live in an previous time when life was slower paced, without planes and phones and email. But not really. I love our times and all the information and promise it holds. I think the trick for all is to find the quiet moments we can horde and use for our creativity. Thanks for this 'calming' post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have ideal times, but I never get to write during them. I have a two year old. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mornings at my house ususually start early, and with my son. Daniel typically gets up between 5:00 AM and 6:30 AM. Like my daughter, I like to get going a bit later than that, if I can.

    So, mornings don't really work well at all for me as a writing time. That's family bonding time or get ready for school and work time.

    Any time after 10:00 AM is good, but that's work time.

    The practical solution: After an early dinner and until about 9:30 or 10:00. The bummer with that is I miss putting the kids to bed if I stay out that late.

    When I'm on a roll I just keep going. I'm kinda all or nothing.

    (and if you had not guessed, I have to--get to-- go out to a coffee shop to get stuff done)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.