Thursday, March 26, 2009

Co-Writer Alex Moore


I remember my first tenative steps into the Blogosphere. I had finished my first novel, was half-way through my second, and was already mapping out the third. For some bizarre, unremembered reason, I had decided that I needed to finish the trilogy before I even started looking for an agent. Boy, was I wrong.

The education I received at the Pacific Northwest Writers Association's summer conference last July was staggering. One tidbit dealt with blogs. "START one," the many-titled and much-published author said. So I finally followed dear friend inlandempiregirl's advice, and I haven't looked back since.

I'm just sorry I hadn't realized the value of a blog sooner. It's not about getting your name out there or advertising your "brand" or capturing the most readers -- it is about relationships. I am so thankful for the community I've found of like-minded writers who are down-to-earth and supportive and full of timely advice. These are fellow writers who have shared successes and failures, large and small alike.

And so, I write. I blog. I blog about writing, and I write about blogging. And I focus on enjoying the ride, staying consistent, and persisting regardless. Nulla dies sine linea.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, nice to see you up here. Just one question though. Is that really your cat? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really true. Writing is so solitary, and most of my "real life" friends, as much as I love them, don't understand that writing is actually pretty hard (darn it!). I can only drone on about my stories so long before they either fall asleep or threaten to drown me. But online there are lots of writers who understand and have their own writing-traumas to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a valuable piece of advice for new writers. Start a blog, start networking, get to know who's out there. I didn't start my blog until after I had a contract so I didn't realize the wealth of information and support and simple relationships I was missing out on. Good post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! It is about relationships! My friend just interviewed me about blogging. I'm not sure she has posted it yet, but there's a link to her blog on my last post about Cliffs Notes.

    I am happy to see that I am not the only one who sees the value in time spent online interacting in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said.

    I would in a Literary Lost Island without my blogging friends. I've corresponded with so many people and had 93.4% adult conversations with most. It's awesome.

    My singular regret is that none of you live close by. I am unable to ply you with drinks, learn some real juicy detail, and blog about it later.

    With pictures.

    In color.

    And no black-out-bar.

    Oh sorry, what were we talking about? Yes, outreach. Yesterday I was out reaching for the cat's tail, and she whacked me on the head. Hard, like a punch.

    There is some parallel here I am trying to make, but alas, the only thing that comes to mind is "sometimes you need to smack your guy alongside the head" or something like that.

    And be very careful when Anthony is buying drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Doug: oh indeed! his real name is Smokey and he's a spoiled brat cat...but he's also the inspiration for one of my very first characters ;)

    @Tara Maya: you are so right. and none of my on-line friends think i'm odd to be agonizing over a scene or a character's motivation!

    @Cindy: good to see you here! there are many paths to the top of the mountain... On the other hand, you weren't distracted by your blogging buddies as you were trying to make it to the top :P

    @Lady Glamis: i love the sense of community, for sure. But it sure sucks a huge amount of time -- I've been meaning to ask you: how do you do it? I see your comments everywhere. And you have such insightful thoughts... Share your secret!

    @Anthony: one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, it's like a full time job. That's all I can say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree completely about the benefit of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got it so right. It is truly about relationships and I love the sense of community.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, add insight, or disagree with us! We welcome your thoughts.